White asparagus salad with fresh herbs By Alan Yu, 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana
‘This dish is easy to do, and is a manifesto of the Italian simplicity and our way to cook: using few ingredients of the best quality, not overly seasoned, but in harmony with each other. That is the spirit of Italian food culture’.
• 16, large organic white asparagus
• 20g, extra virgin olive oil (we use a Sicilian fruity olive oil)
• 8g, salt
• 3, oranges (you will need zest & juice)
• 1, carrot (you will need the juice) A bunch of fresh herbs & sprouts (we use fennel leaves, tarragon, chives, chervil, celery heart leaves, micro leaves of beets, thyme)
• Extract the juice from the carrot and oranges. Then reduce both of these juices into the saucepan at medium fire with the orange skin and some thyme.
• Incorporate into the juices reduction with a hand blender a few drops of olive oil in order to create an emulsion.
• Wash and peel the asparagus. Then put asparagus into the foil with salt, orange skin and extra virgin olive oil. Close the foil and put in into the oven at 190 degrees for about 15 to18 min.
• Then trim the edge of the asparagus and cut into medium size dices.
• Place onto the plate the diced asparagus, top with the asparagus head, add one by one all the fine herbs and finish the dish with a few drops of the juice sauce.