Unsplash: Beth Teutschmann
1. Turn off all the lights, grab your pillow and settle down for a night of frights by watching the ten best horror films ever made back-to-back. Or, grab a friend and head to The Pearl Theatre for the regular Tuesday movie night that's taking a scary turn for the holiday with a screening of classic 1978 American slasher Halloween.
2. Get dressed up as something ghoulish and get your freak on at one of the city's top Halloween parties.
3. Hear the legends of haunted Shanghai at the Charity Public Halloween Ghost Tour. Shanghai has a rich record of murderous gangsters and fatal accidents that, as legend tells us, has left behind many spirits wandering certain haunts around the city. This two-hour walking tour by Newman tours takes you through some of the places of note from a rougher time in Shanghai's history.
4. Try these scream-worthy wine and trick-or-treat candy pairings recommended by Shanghai's top sommeliers.
5. Check out Chihuo Xiaoyaohu, a horror-themed hotpot restaurant (safe for the faint of heart).
6. Have a family-friendly spookfest at Shanghai Disney Resort's first Halloween extravaganza.
Find more great things to do this Halloween.
Over Halloween, but into pumpkins? Get your fix with...
7. Order Amelia's x Bastiaan Bakery ginger and pumpkin muffins (and other seasonal treats) right to your door on FIELDS. 16RMB.
8. Charlie's pumpkin pie milkshake – a downright sinful drink that blends a slice of pumpkin pie into an uber-thick vanilla milkshake that's sugary, spiced and all things nice. 55RMB.
9. Cobra Lily's Pumpkin Eggnog cocktail. This seasonal tipple mixes dark double-aged rum, spice syrup, cocoa, coconut, milk, cream and pumpkin. 85RMB.
10. A whole lobster in a whole pumpkin at Pirata, that's also filled with pumpkin soup made with the lobster's head. Plus the tail and claws pan-fried in butter and all garnished with poached leeks and fried pumpkin. This baby feeds three to four people, but best call ahead to reserve one. 398RMB.
Apple Tart at Sunflour
Zeitgeist does a strudel right with soft pastry dough, layers of thinly sliced apples, juicy raisins and a dusting of powdered sugar. 48RMB.
Sunflour's apple tart has picture-perfect folds of apple slices layered beautifully inside its rich almond crust – it's almost worth getting for the Instagram shot alone. 25RMB.
13. Apple Pie, Bread etc
Bread etc's 'apple pie' has layer upon layer of flaky pastry sheets browned from being brushed with butter, making a super crisp base for paper-thin apple slices and a sprinkle of caramelised hazelnuts. 25RMB.
14. Roasted apple, The Chop Chop Club
Paul Pairet's roasted apple is caramelised to perfection on every surface and served with a disc of caramel brittle and vanilla bean ice cream. 70RMB.
Find more great apple desserts for autumn.
Bund-side cocktail den The Captain (formerly Captain’s Bar) has revamped its deck into a new speakeasy concept with a menu of stylish – but reasonably priced – bites and booze, with most drinks landing around the 70RMB mark.
A seventh-floor rooftop terrace reached via private elevator from inside sister restaurant THE CUT Steak & Fries (inside the swanky iAPM mall), this bar overlooks Xiangyang Park – making it a great spot to catch the leaves turn for autumn.
Make like it's still summer (only not unbearably hot) with palm trees, chill vibes and margaritas at Mayita.
Riding in style with the car set to whatever temperature you desire with Didi Luxe
Curling up with a good book at one of these hidden cafés
Go for entertainment value and brilliant service at Hai Di Lao
34. Join free Shanghai fitness club FitFam for outdoor HIIT (High-intensity Interval Training) bodyweight strength and conditionings sessions.