Chickpea Patties or Bun-less Veggie Burgers
‘I love this chickpea patty recipe as it’s full of flavour, makes use of digestible protein and is easy to make in batches. The patties also freeze well and kids can have fun making and shaping them. Furthermore, they go well with vegetables and whole grains for a complete meal. Most patties you’ll find around town use breadcrumbs as a filler but this recipe uses flax seeds instead, perfect for those with gluten allergies.’
Chickpea patties or Bun-less veggie burgers
• 425g cooked chickpeas (about one can), drained and rinsed
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
• 1 pinch paprika powder
• 1 tsp each of cumin, masala
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 3 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
• 1 pinch tumeric (optional)
• 1/2 cup cashew nuts
• 1/4 cup oats
• 1 large carrot, grated
• 1 flax 'egg' (1 tbsp ground flaxseeds, combined with 3 tbsp water, mixed until it gels)
1. In a large mixing bowl mash the chickpeas together.
2. Grind the oats and cashew nuts separately and set them aside.
3. Sauté the onion, carrot, garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika and garam masala in a medium-sized pan.
4. Combine the chickpea, cashew nut and onion and carrot mixtures.
5. Add the ‘flax egg’.
6. Add the lemon juice and coriander. Lastly, mix in the ground oats.
7. From the patty mixture, form 6large burgers.
8. On a greased aluminium sheet, grill the patties or pan-fry the burgers in a non-stick pan, until golden brown.
Serve on a bed of lettuce and tomato slices and garnish with your favourite toppings.