Formerly known as the Asylum at Ward Road, the First Refugee Camp on Changyang Lu was originally
the Russian merchants’ rest house. The rest houses were converted into barracks in
1939, and it became one of the seven but largest asylum in the Jewish isolated zone of
Shanghai during World War II. Although locals now live within the premises, the
original architectures were preserved to tell the story of how the Jewish refugees lived and interacted.